Follow the D-Day landings through a unique collection of historical maps, expert commentary and dramatic photographs. This is a unique insight into the D-Day landings 70 years on.
Over 90 maps demonstrate how the D-Day landings unfolded, along with detailed descriptions of what happened on that momentous day. The Allied landings in Normandy on 6 June 1944 were the greatest amphibious assault in history, requiring almost two years of meticulous planning and the largest coordinated mapping effort the world has ever seen.
Key maps include:
• Top-secret maps of Normandy with overprints showing the beach defences.
• Plan of the Allied deception schemes.
• Detailed maps of all five landing beaches, including OMAHA and UTAH.
• Chart of the armada’s route across the Channel.
• Maps showing the Allies’ movements as they pushed across France towards Berlin and VE Day.
This collection of incredible maps which explain the events that led up to D-Day, the planning for the assault and the progress of the liberating forces afterwards. Dramatic photographs, many in colour, help to illustrate the key historical events that took place during Operation Overlord.